So as it turns out, we are just two weeks away from Mike's burial service. I am very grateful to be honoring my husband's service to his country by entombing his remains in the vaults at Arlington National Cemetary. Before he passed away Mike and I had the hard conversation about what his final wishes were. I will never forget the look he gave me when I asked him if he would like to be included with thousands of military brothers and sisters at Arlington. It had never occured to him because he didn't know that his medical retirement entitled him to this incredible privledge. We decided together that this would be a fabulous place for our daughter to go when she needed to feel close to her Father and honor his service to this country.
And now the details you all have been waiting for! It is pretty simple actually. Everyone will need to arrive at the Main Gate of Arlington Cemetary between 10-10:15am. When you approach the guards please give them Mike's name they will direct you to the administration building where we will be gathering until the service starts at 11am. At that time we will all load back into our vehicles and participate in a procession to the vaults that house all cremated remains. We will then have a short burial ceremony and place Mike's remains in the vault. It will probably be over by 11:30am. From there Mike's parents have offered up their home as a place for everyone to gather afterward. Their address is 1008 Bayview Overlook in Stafford, VA. The zip code is 22554. If you are driving up from North Carolina it is only a few miles off of interstate I-95. Also, many of you have asked about flowers. Flowers are technically allowed but are not alloafter the service. A crew goes around and picks up all flowers each night.
And FINALLY . . . I need to share the link with you that will take you to pictures of Mike's Unit Memorial at New River Airstation back on May 21st. First I wanted to share a few of my favorites with you!
See the rest of the photos here, the password is "Mike." Also, if everyone could please pray for Stephnie from La Lumioere Photography! After the kindness she showed us when Mike was diagnosed, she now faces cancer being a part of her life. We're all praying for you Stephanie!!















I don't know if we'll be able to make it to Arlington :-(. We'll try our darndest to but Jeromey has surgery again a few days before and we don't know if he'll be up to travel. I'm so glad we made it to the Memorial and our thoughts and spirits will be with Mike, Audrey, you and your families on the 3rd. I looked through the pics and Stephanie did an amazing job capturing the moment in May. I noticed there was a picture of me giving Audrey's hand a kiss - just so you know me and Jeromey went out to the parking lot after that and sat in the car for a good 30 minutes bawling our eyes out. We got snot all over our good clothes, lol.
ReplyDeleteAnyway, the point again is that we're heartbroken for Mike - and you. We love you guys, think of you daily and miss you immensely. You are strong, you are brave, you are positive. You are sweet and open and so much more than I know would or could ever be if I were you. You amaze us all and we're behind you 100,000,000%. *hugs and squeezes*
Lindsey, Jeromey, and baby Toran
Thank you for sharing the pictures. Mike was and is loved and missed. He always had a smile on his face.
ReplyDeleteI would love to be able to be there at Arlington but I won't be able to. But, I will be thinking of you, Audrey, Mike, and all his family and friends. Y'all are in my thoughts and prayers.
Julie,
ReplyDeleteYou and Audrey are always in my thoughts and prayers. I will be thinking of both of you on Monday. You are a truly amazing person.
Love,
Kristina