I am sure that everyone is eager for an update since it has been a couple of days. Mike has completed four out of ten radiation treatments. That is 40% overwith and behind us. In another hour or so he will be 50% completed. So far, the only symptom he has is extreme fatigue. I mean the kind of fatigue where he can't even get out of bed without help anymore. If you know him, you can only imagine how cranky this is making him! It is hard to tell a Marine that he can't get out of bed! I think we are both relieved that he gets to take a break from the radiation for two days this weekend before he completes the second half of the treatments Monday - Friday of next week. As far as results, the doctors say they think it is working, but we honestly can't tell a bit of difference yet. Keep praying that it kicks in soon!
We also have a new development . . . Mike has been in this hospital since Feb. 25th and is in bed most of the day. Doctors are always watchful of the possibility of pneumonia with their patients. When you're lying down in bed you don't breath as deeply and expand your lungs all the way like you would when you stand or sit. That is why pneumonia is a fairly common complication for people that are bedridden whether temporarily or permanently. They did a routine lung CT yesterday to make sure there was no fluid in Mike's lungs and right now that looks great. They did however notice that there is significant change in the size and quantity of cancer areas in his lungs and it has them concerned to say the least. Over the past two weeks I think we showed the doctors that we aren't just going to let this cancer monster win without putting up a great fight first! Although it's unusual, they are suggesting that we go ahead and start a chemo regiment right now even though radiation is not completed. It's the "chemo on top" of the radiation sundae so to speak :-) The radiation is localized and only affects the mass in his pelvis. The chemo will run through his blood and potentially help every other part of his body affected by the cancer. It's a double team effort. We have agreed that we like this idea and are being told that chemo will most likely start tomorrow since there is a lot of paperwork to be completed before we can begin. We are going to try a chemo called "taxol" which is used on a lot of patients with angiosarcoma. He will get small doses once a week for three weeks in a row and then gets a vacation week before starting the cycle again. Although we are sad that he won't get a couple of weeks to feel great after finishing radiation, we are excited to start fighting what is left of the cancer as soon as possible.
Although I hear what the doctors are saying about the grim nature of angiosarcoma, I am pressing forward the best I can with their words in the back of my mind. My husband is still here with me and I am thankful for that every minute of every day. There will be plenty of time for sadness later, right now we are treasuring our time together even if it's in the hospital instead of on a gorgeous beach in the Caribbean.
We are still stunned by the thoughts, prayers and acts of kindness that still come pouring in. From Oreos to lighthearted visits from friends and everything in between it is amazing how our friends and family are surrounding us with love and support. Thank you from my little McFamily, we love you too!
Lord Jesus - Please comfort Julie and Mike through this difficult time. Help them to have strength that only you can give them. Give the doctors wisdom! Lord please perform a miracle and heal Mike!! In Jesus name, Amen!
ReplyDeleteJulie and Mike I'am sorry to hear of your news, Mel just told me but I want you to know that my prayers are with you and I know Jesus will bless you with comfort and strength as you face the days ahead! If we can help with anything call me 641 484-5460. I will continue to pray for comfort, strength, wisdom for the doctor's and a miracle to heal Mike. May the Lord's peace that pass's all understanding be with you both! Kim
ReplyDelete