Saturday, March 19, 2011

Update!

     I am so sorry it's been too long since I updated this blog! Since I left Mike at the hospital last Sunday in the care of his father, Scott who came down from Northern Virginia, this week has just flown by and has been completely crazy! To start, nobody told my baby about daylight savings time. I actually tried to use it to my advantage, instead of going to bed at 7:30pm and waking up at 6am she would go to bed at 8:30pm and hopefully wake up at 7am. Well she has stayed up until 9-9:30pm everynight this week. The morning did work, she has been waking up around 7am which is a blessing because I get just enough time to shower. But, by the time I finally get her to sleep at night and pick up her mess, do some laundry and sterilize another room (I am trying to get a head start on Mike coming home!) I am beat and of course have been slacking on the blog.
     Here is out week since the update on Monday :-) Mike received his first dose of chemotheraphy on Tuesday. Unfortunately, he had a bad allergic reaction to it and they had to stop it almost immediately. :-( We were pretty disappointed! On Wednesday we waited to find out what the next step was and finally the doctors said they were going to try again on Friday or Saturday (same drug in a different solution because people aren't allergic to the drug, just the stuff the drug is mixed with).
     On Wednesday night Johnny Cash kept me up all night scratching at his poor ears. I knew they were hurting him, but this just let me know that he had to get in the vet as we were completely out of his ear medicine. I dropped Hemi off at the groomers Thursday morning for his summer haircut, went to work until mid-afternoon, picked him up, raced home to get Cash and took him straight to the vet. I did get to go to the grocery store (sans baby) while I was out so that was pretty nice :-) Afterwards we picked up Audrey and a couple of sweet neighbors came over to have a gab session. It was really nice to relax a little bit!! I look forward to spending more time with those ladies when our lives calm down a little! Then I woke up on Friday, got Audrey to daycare and went to work. Daycare called around 2:30pm and said she had a fever of 101.5 degrees. And such is my luck right now! I wasn't too worried since she literally has her two top front teeth peeking through the gum this week (my baby is getting so grown up), but I picked her up around 3:30pm. It was then that they daycare added that they also thought she had a yeast diaper rash and needed to be seen by the pediatrician. Unsure of when I was going to be able to get her in to the pediatrician I called and they told me if I went straight there they would see her! Boy am I glad I did that because in addition to the fever and rash she also has a double ear infection :-( So off to Walgreens for antibiotics and special butt cream! This morning Audrey woke me up at 5:30am and then we jumped right into getting ready to go visit Daddy! It took me quite awhile to get ready because she literally never stopped crying unless I picked her up. It is really hard to pack when you are carrying around a 17 pound baby! We eventually did make it to Chapel Hill to visit Daddy though. My Mom has Audrey for the night at my brother Jeff's apartment since he lives in the area. :-)
     Okay, now back to an update on Mike which is why you're reading this wordy post. Mike waited around until Friday only to find out that the second try at chemo was going to happen today. He did finish up radiation with flying colors! One treatment down and we can focus on chemo now! Today they tried the chemo again and he had no reaction this time! So our first chemo treatment is behind us now and Mike has a week to regain some strength before his next treatment. There are a couple of factors in play, but depending on how he does this week we may get him home! I cannot wait to have my entire family under one roof again!
    So that's the longest post ever (with no pictures) so I'll end there but I promise to keep updates coming! Everyone has been so kind to us. Every card and text message and phone call is definitely treasured! We love you all.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the post Julie. Sounds like you are running in all directions. You are such a busy girl. Hang in there, you have lots of support. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete