I got a call earlier this week from a sweet neighbor and dear friend. He asked if a visit from our Great Dane Johnny Cash might cheer Mike up a little bit. I told him that it definitely would, but that of course dogs weren't allowed on this floor of the hospital. Most of the patients up here are on chemotherapy and have compromised immune systems and pet dander could put them in danger. He said he understood that and asked if Mike was ever allowed to leave the floor. He is, but only for an hour or less a day as he has to be unhooked from him pain narcotics before he is allowed to leave (they don't want patients pushing drugs in the lobby I guess! lol). Even with that in mind, I told him that this hospital recognizes dogs that have a Delta Therapy Dog certification and our Johnny Cash is certified as a therapy dog through a different organization, Therapy Dogs International. We decided together (with a little urging from him) that the worst thing that could happen is we could get tackled violently by security guards, or asked to leave. After devising a plan to surprise Mike I began telling him over and over again how much this meant and Mike was going to be so happy and this amazing friend cut in and said, "Jules, let me tell you my new favorite phrase. Don't gay it up." This for some reason cracked me up and might get added to my list of favorites as well :-)
The plan went off without a hitch, not only did we not get tackled but we got asked to make a visit to the children's floor while we were here :-) I would have loved to do that, but seeing as though we weren't supposed to be here at all I thought that might push the envelope! Take a look at the pictures below, this was the only time I saw Mike smile yesterday!
Doesn't he look so official in his therapy vest? No one dared say a word to us :-) I think 20 doctors walked by and they all just smiled and waved!
Here is a video of the actual moment Mike and Cash's eyes met, and you can hear my neighbor giving me a little pep talk since this was the second most badass thing I ever did :-)
A very special thank you to Ed Salau who took a day out of his life to make this happen :-) I hope I didn't "gay it up" too much Ed!
PS This is not me in the pink vest, Lauren Rippey came to assist us in pulling this off so she deserves some credit too ;-)
awwwww! I'm so glad it worked out!! I knew they wouldn't say no to your doggie :)
ReplyDeleteLove the saying!! Im totally stealing it ;)
ReplyDeleteAnd those are just amazing pics of Mike and Cash. I know it just made his day!
This made my day! What great photos. Thanks Julie.
ReplyDeleteCindi (your mom's friend)
This was amazing Julie. Seeing his dog (family) had to be an elation & therapy for Mike. God bless you both. You are #1 in our thoughts & prayers. Your blogs are most informative.
ReplyDeleteMichael & Grandma Gerry
Mike looks really happy to see Cash. That had to make his day. Cash is such a great dog. When I visted, I loved the way Cash just wanted to cuddle up to Mike all the time.
ReplyDeleteMy prayers are with you guys always.
Robin
LOVED this Jules!!!!!! Someway, somehow this is the WHOLE reason Cash became a therapy dog.. I KNOW it :)
ReplyDeleteLove you all.
Jazz, AJ and Corrinne along with Mandee and Quincee, Dodger and Skippy!